2 Films ~ #SalmanKhan

It was 2006 Diwali. Exactly a year after I moved to Mudichur (near Tambaram) and heavy rains slashed Chennai leaving thousands of families in distress with severe floods. It didn't repeat again in 2006 with Chennaittes hoping for a sound Diwali celebration. It was a Grand Diwali with 2 big Bollywood films Jaan-E-Mann and Don releasing on the same day. Being a Salman Khan fan for over 21 years now and a little over 9 years then (during Jaan-E-Mann release), I was hyper excited with the trailer and the fresh songs. The songs had a big build up to the movie with lavish sets, outdoor locations and being made on a huge budget. The beats of the music were not the usual ones Bollywood had seen. It was so youthful and trendy. The music did wonderfully by beating Don in an instant. I liked almost all the songs from it. The movie was under consistent news anad made headlines for all good reasons something unknown of especially being a Salman Khan film.

I wanted the movie to break all box office records and beat Shah Rukh Khan's 'Don'. However Don being a Mass movie and being a remake of the yesteryear cult hit, expectation was huge from the movie. The trade Pundits believed 'Don' to smash all previous records and be one of the biggest hits for Shah Rukh Khan. I was curiously waiting for the big release. And that day finally came. I went to Melody theatre in Chennai to catch Jaan-E-Mann. However what I noticed was tragic. Hardly there was anyone near the ticket window. I slowly gazed inside the theatre - same result. I was devastated. Being a Salman Khan fan and inspite of being a big release with a big star cast and budget, the response was lukewarm. I almost cried walking away from the theatre.

Near Melody theatre was the Woodlands theatre. Don released in there and I could see a massive crowd thronging at the ticket window. The show was housefull. It brought me down. I did not watch Jaan-E-Maan due to my heart was filled with sadness. I returned back home without watching the movie.

It was Jan 26, 2007. I had just joined my first company and I took leave on that day despite I had an exam at my office. It was the release day of Salaam-E-Ishq and I was glued to watching that film since it was another Salman Khan film with smash hit trailer and songs. The movie was directd by Nikhil Advani of Kal Ho Na Ho fame. The movie had a huge star cast and was made in a big budget. I went to Ega theatre in Chennai and caught the movie FDFS. Only less than ten were present in the theatre. It was a huge disgrace to the movie. Added to this was Salman was in an extended special appearance. He wasn't the lead actor of this film as it was projected in the trailer. That came as a total dismay to me. I was intimidated to leave the theatre by the interval but only coz of being a loyal Salman film, I stayed till the end. After the film I left the theatre with frustration since the film wasn't good and watchable at all.

While leaving for home, I bumped on to a CD shop where I found Jaan-E-Mann CD. I got it and left home. I watched the film. Once.. Twice.. Thrice.., on a single day. The film was so good. I absolutely loved the film. And wondered how this bombed at the box office. Technically the movie was great. A sense of happiness sunk inside me. I was happy that Salman did this film. And then life moved on.. Now it has been 21 years of being a Salman fan and this incident is still in my memory.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The curiosity in your eyes

A Common Man's Expectation from the Govt

Why LIC is the best life insurer?